Sunday 24 March 2013

Drilling Glass Takes Forever!

Woo! I think this is the first Handmade Monday that I have taken part in for months. It feels really good to be back, I have missed getting involved with things.

Firstly, my Etsy shop is back up and running. I am slowly relisting things again. The photos are links to my shop



I have also been making glass pendants. My first lot turned out well and I glued some bails onto the back. While this did work for most of them, some of the bails could be pulled off... not something I am wiling to risk selling yet until I am 100% sure they are going to stay on. Plus my gluing technique isn't the best and some of the pendants look quite messy on the back.. I need more practice. I've been using 2 parts epoxy and think I was rushing as it sets fairly quickly...yep more practice. So... I decided to have a go at drilling a hole in each pendant and attaching a pinch bail. I am really happy with how they have turned out. What do you think? The holes aren't totally centered which makes the pendant hang slightly unevenly, but I think that adds to the charm.


The only trouble with this method is that it took me nearly two hours to drill one pendant... now I know that can't be right. I'm going to order some different types of drill bits and see if that helps... I hope so as I really want to start making these.

Have a great week everyone!

12 comments:

  1. I have read that E5000 is supposed to be a good glue for beads. I can't vouch for that not having used it, but it might be worth looking into. Lovely jewellery as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the wonky fact. Makes them more unusual. 2 hours must have taken A LOT of patience. Good on you but I would try to find a quicker way!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like the teal colours in your jewellery! The pendants are very pretty although I would want mine to have a centred hole if I had one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pendants look lovely, I love the colours. I agree that 2 hours is a lot for drilling, keep us posted on finding an improved way.
    I'm glad you are back.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good to have you back on Handmade Monday. Your pendants are lovely - gorgeous colours. Hope you have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The pendants are gorgeous, i love the effect and tbh i wouldnt have noticed the holes were off centre if you hadnt pointed it out! Hope you manage to find a drill bit that speeds the process up for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the colours in the pendants. The off centre holes make them totally unique so I'd be happy with one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pendants. I make similar cabachon pendants and have no trouble gluing with E6000. It is industrial strength and glues anything. It is waterproof and shockproof. It remains a tiny bit flexible unlike epoxy so it doesn't turn brittle. Most jewellers recommend it. Hth


    Janice x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh I love the bracelets! Lovely to see you back at Handmade Monday :-) The pendants look very funky - hope you find the attachment solution - fraid I can't make any helpful suggestions as I've never tried to make jewellery! Simmi x

    ReplyDelete
  10. The bracelets are absolutely gorgeous. And I love the pendants, wonderful designs and really unique. I hope they all sell well.
    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your bracelets look gorgeous! I especially like the colours in the first one.
    Wendy x

    ReplyDelete