Tuesday 29 January 2013

Family

I have been keeping busy this past few weeks,  mainly to take my mind off what I wrote about in my last post.

One of the things I have been doing is tracing my family tree. I tried to do this a few years ago but found it quite difficult as well as being expensive! I was pretty lost and didn't know where to start so when I saw a Family History course being run at the library I jumped at the chance. It is an 8 week course which helps you find out who your ancestors are.

 Yesterday we looked at the census for both 1901 and 1911 (for free as the library has a subscription, i'd recommend anyone who wants to trace their family tree to ask at their local library to see if they do something similar.)  My research has taken a few twists and turns and last night I found out that one set of  my great, great, great grandparents were farmers in the place I live now. It was a shock as previously we had no connection to the place we live now, it is almost like something has drawn us back to living here. And I love gardening! hehe. It is fascinating though, I have loved finding out all the different names and what jobs my family members had and I can't help wondering if I look like anyone. Do I share any personality traits with a grandparent? I wish I could find photographs!

Have a great week!

1 comment:

  1. Ah this is cool! I love looking at old family photos, my Grandad has some amazing snaps and stories, I don't have the patience for things like ploughing through censuses though.

    Ugh, I read the post before this one, sending hugs through the blogosphere. I went through a very similar break-up a couple of years back. It does get easier, I identified with so many things you were saying. I'm glad you are having fun and filling your time with fun stuff! x

    ReplyDelete