Sunday 16 October 2011

Handmade Monday- I'm back at last!

 Happy Handmade Monday everyone! Be sure to check out what everyone else has been making this week.

 The past two weeks have been the sort of fortnight where I haven't been able to get much done, I haven't been able to get anything started (or finished) I think it's because I have been on extra antibiotics which always slow me down a bit (and give me very freaky vivid dreams). So I have spent most of my days doing crafty things as well as visiting my aunt in hospital. My aunt is fantastic, she is in her eighties but is so full of life and has a wicked sense of humour. It's been a shock seeing her so poorly and is strange being the visitor and not the patient. Getting used to visiting times is odd as we don't have them at the hospital I go to.I hope she is out and back home soon.

I made the most of the lovely weather we had to get out in the garden and take some photos. Here are the results :) They aren't great but remind me of the sun!









I have been doing a little bit of experimenting with my kiln trying to form a hole in glass while it is fired. For my first attempt I soaked a cocktail stick in kiln wash and sandwiched between the glass...



 It didn't work but I like the pieces I made. I then got some advice from a very helpful person on the frit happens forum and tried wrapping the cocktail stick in thinfire paper. Success!
I'm not that keen on this, I must admit I was learning a technique rather than trying to make something I like. I used all the scratched pieces of glass that I couldn't break... it saves wasting them!

I still need to work on this technique but at least I have a good idea what I'm doing  now :)

I've also been adding to the Epic Bedspread Project! I wasn't happy with what it was looking like so I have started again... hard work! here is a close up picture...

And the a pic of the width...lots to do yet!

16 comments:

  1. I hope your aunt's well again very soon. Getting older is no fun!
    Love your photos, and the glass project looks fun too. The bedspread looks like a lot of work - good luck!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the bedspread you are making! Liking the glass project too! Mich :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your Epic Bedspread is going waay better than my rather feeble attempt though I can't believe you started over again!
    The glass is looking good, love the abstracty black and white bits. I'm sure the technical bits will fall into place soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have so many talents - photography, glass, crochet. How do you find time to fit it all in?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the glass project and the crochet :o) very multi talented! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your photo's are brilliant Harriet.
    You are doing really well with your glass work, keep it up. Your bedspread is coming along great, it will be just the thing for wrapping yourself in while watching tv.
    Best wishes to your aunt, my mum is in her 80's and is in hospital at the moment, hoping she'll be back home next week.
    Take care
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I will keep your Aunt in my prayers, I had a couple of Aunts I was close to, they were great fun and I learned so much from them (and were they ever characters!).
    Love the photos (esp the one with the ladybug flying away, that is awesome!).
    And the glass, well, that is really great, I need to get going with my kiln again now that it's a little cooler. I have a small jewelry size glass kiln I haven't used in over a year, and that's exactly the sort of thing I like to do. Wonderful work! You've inspired me. :) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the pictures of the ladybirds, ladybirds have got to be my favourite insect. They are so friendly

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love you glass pieces. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Working with glass look so technical, I love your pieces. Great shots of the ladybird and I'm glad to see your crocheting is still going strong.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi there, your glass and photos look fab, love the ladybird

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not sure how you manage to fit everything in - they all look gorgeous. Well done

    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your pics are amazing... especially the one of the ladybird beating her wings! Is working with glass very scarey? The results look so fluid, just love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the glassy treasures. your experiments with the kiln are very interesting. waiting to see more it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Harriet, I got my pink smarties from Asda so I think all the stores will do them.

    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the lady-bug shots.. so cute! And the glass project looks fun. Nice blog :)

    ReplyDelete